Sperry was founded in 1935 by avid sailor, inventor, and intrepid explorer Paul Sperry, and the brand has built a legacy of innovation and style for 8 decades. From the invention of the world’s first boat shoe, the Sperry brand is fully rooted in the history of American style.
We are a team of innovators, fashion leaders and optimists, always looking for new ways to deliver style, comfort, and fresh ideas to our consumers. We want to be at the forefront of what matters and strive to be inclusive, environmentally conscious, community oriented, and purpose driven.
Join us as we set a course for exciting brand growth, and continue to craft the shoes for life’s memorable experiences on, off, and by the water.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL
Vice President Product Merchandising - SperryWolverine Worldwide | Waltham, Massachusetts Apply
At Sperry we are here to inspire everyone to find common ground, as we have since 1935. We create products that can transcend boundaries because we believe it’s the little things that can help bring us together. We’re proud to embrace timeless styles and quality everyone can relate to. Join our team and help us inspire people to recognize their commonalities and create more meaningful connections and better communities.
The Vice President of Product Merchandising establishes and ensures a consistent Global Product and Merchandising footwear strategy, leading and managing the product management while building a World Class merchandising function for the Brand.
- Help envision, develop, and execute the product and go-to-market strategies that delivers on Sperry’s strategic and financial objectives.
- Lead the development of merchandising strategies, product development initiatives and inventory management to meet and exceed revenue and profit targets.
- Develop and execute product/merchandising strategies for the global Sperry brand using consumer insights/research and market intelligence.
- Lead the teams to deliver product innovation that inspire and engage both prospective and existing consumers – in our wholesale and direct channels, along with Third Party and Joint Venture Markets around the world.
- Bring a comprehensive understanding of markets and trends in order to provide insight to all relevant teams and inspire further innovation across the Sperry platform.
- Develop margin and revenue goal objectives, and direct assortment strategies across all categories that meet or exceed these goals.
- Oversee planning activities to drive demand, margin, turn and growth for total company across all channels of owned operations: wholesale, eCommerce, and brick & mortar.
- Lead, motivate and inspire the collective teams to develop innovative products and go-to-market strategies.
- Provide clear communication on global merchandising strategy and direction; ensure team is aligned towards a common strategy and overall business objectives.
- Systematic way of working with all other areas of the business and for effective communication – up, down and across the Sperry ecosystem and throughout the broader Wolverine enterprise.
- Manage teams by fostering a creative, productive, cohesive, curious, and collaborative environment that engages team members and motivates them to be great each day.
- Lead by example and promote best practice behaviors and continuous improvement in management performance, product performance and customer satisfaction.
- Help champion a ”merchant mindset” in the Sperry brand, along with championing this effort across all of Wolverine Worldwide.
- Build and develop strong cross-functional relationships both within Sperry, along with our shared service and matric partners across the WWW enterprise
- Actively seek out future talent internally and externally; visibly champion talent succession planning and high potential development.
- Serve as a visible and vocal champion of the Sperry brand purpose, modeling appropriate behaviors and providing leadership and guidance to team members.
- Performing duties consistent with the Company’s AAP/EEO goals and policies.
- Performing other duties as required/assigned by manager
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Bachelor's degree required/MBA preferred or equivalent work experience.
- 15+ years’ experience in footwear, apparel or accessories.
- Exceptional leadership skills with at least 7 years at the director level, with the ability to inspire and set an all-encompassing product vision.
- A proven and savvy leader, with exceptional taste level.
- An established understanding of leading with a customer-first mindset.
- A proven ability to drive global merchandising strategies that deliver against both financial and brand objectives.
- Proven experience in building brands with functional and emotional relevance and commercial success.
- Ability to think critically and anticipate future trends and incorporate them into organizational plans.
- Strong leadership background with a variety of merchandising concepts, processes and experiences.
- Experience leading and collaborating with cross functional teams and influencing across WWW to drive global brand growth efforts.
- Proven track record for developing compelling product assortments in multiple categories.
- A depth of working knowledge of end-to-end with design and development of product categories.
- Experience managing, leading and collaborating with global teams (with both direct- and indirect reporting relationships).
- Knowledge of managing with and within budgetary responsibilities to deliver both top- and bottom-line targets.
Normal office environment. Travel required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills which may be required.
Committed to a diverse workforce, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled).